- October 3 at 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
- October 4 at 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
- October 19 at 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
- November 3 - November 5
- This event has passed.
2020 U.S. Law Updates to Know for Japanese and Other Foreign Firms
February 19, 2020 at 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Join Baker Donelson and Kitahama Partners Joint Seminar co-sponsored by JETRO, JASG and JCCG
Baker Donelson will provide updates on several key U.S. laws that Japanese businesses should know about to help reach their goals and objectives for 2020.
They will cover:
- CFIUS Regulations
The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) is an inter-agency committee chaired by the Treasury Department with the authority to review, modify and potentially reject certain types of foreign investment that could adversely affect U.S. national security. CFIUS’s new regulation can have enormous impact on transactions in U.S. because even a minority investment in a U.S. company may be subject to the CFIUS review. To avoid unexpected delay or failure of transaction, you must know this new regulation.
- Essentials of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
The CCPA is an expansive privacy law which provides consumers with more rights and control over the personal information that businesses collect about them. The law went into effect on January 1, 2020, but continues to evolve in advance of the Attorney General beginning enforcement on July 1, 2020. It’s a good time to double-check your company’s data activities relating to California consumers and it’s not too late to address the CCPA compliance obligations.
- The current landscape of Legalized Marijuana
There are a number of inconsistencies between US Federal and State laws that make it difficult to determine what is legal. 33 states plus the District of Columbia have legalized marijuana for medical purposes, and 11 states have legalized marijuana for recreational use. Are you prepared for dealing with marijuana which appears in relation to your business and workplace?
Also joining are attorneys from Kitahama Partners from Japan. They will present “How to Handle Legal Matters in the US from Japanese Perspective,” and also can provide insights for U.S. companies doing business in Japan.
Moderator and Speakers:
- Bob Johnson, Baker Donelson, Shareholder
- John M. Scannapieco, Baker Donelson, Shareholder
- Alex Koskey, Baker Donelson, Associate
- Mike Williams, Baker Donelson, Associate
- Hannah Jarrells, Baker Donelson, Associate
- Takanori Nakajima, Baker Donelson, Visiting Attorney
- Jiri Mestecky, Kitahama Partners, Partner
- Masataka Shitanishi, Kitahama Partners, Partner
- Mika Akiyama, Kitahama Partners, Registered Foreign Attorney
- 1:00 p.m. Registration
- 1:30 p.m. Introductions and Welcoming Remarks
- 1:40 p.m. Presentations
- 4:50 p.m. Concluding Remarks – Transition to Reception
- 5:00 – 6:00 p.m. Reception