Public Diplomacy and Administrative Officer
Consulate General of Ireland Atlanta
The Consulate General of Ireland promotes and protects Irish interests in the US Southeast region, supporting the strong partnership between the US and Ireland, and providing a range of key services to Irish citizens. We cover five US states from our base in Atlanta: Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
The Consulate General of Ireland, Atlanta is seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic and hardworking person with excellent communication and interpersonal skills to fill a full-time Public Diplomacy and Administrative Officer position. This position is for an initial 12 month fixed term contract with an option to renew, subject to satisfactory performance and Mission requirements.
- Full Time
- Contributing to the work of the Consulate team in delivering across its work streams to achieve Ireland’s objectives in the US Southeast;
- Providing support for public diplomacy projects and outreach activities promoting Ireland in the areas of culture, political connections, educational opportunities, people to people & trade and business connections, and others;
- Supporting the Consul General and Vice Consul on wider public diplomacy strategy planning, including identifying and creatively developing new outreach initiatives, events and digital campaigns to engage audiences in the US Southeast;
- Working with the Vice Consul, assist on social media management, produce innovative content creation including maintaining a grid of upcoming activity;
- Sharing digital skills and best practice with colleagues;
- Conducting research under the direction of diplomatic staff;
- Support on event and visit management, including for our high level visits;
- Identifying speaking and event opportunities;
- Providing administrative support to the Mission;
- Assisting with cover on consular service provision to Irish citizens including; Providing assistance to Irish citizens, and their families, who are in difficulty; Working with local welfare and emergency partners;
- Answering queries relating to Ireland from the general public;
- Other duties as required from time to time and directed by the Consul General and Vice Consul.
- A university degree or equivalent qualification;
- Well-developed digital skills and knowledge – including with regard to social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn), website, digital newsletter, photo and video editing;
- Knowledge of and interest in Ireland - US relations, knowledge of and interest in news, culture and current affairs in the US Southeast;
- Intercultural skills and/or knowledge of Ireland.
- Candidates must have previous professional experience in a similar role;
- The candidate must demonstrate, using work based examples, excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team but also deal effectively with members of the public and people in external organisations;
- The candidate must have proven ability to build relationships and maintain a network of contacts across academic, cultural, private and public-sector communities;
- The candidate must provide evidence of flexibility, efficiency and effectiveness showing strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to work under pressure and to manage multiple tasks;
- The candidate should provide examples of being solutions-oriented, and committed to delivering results, including by adapting approach if necessary;
- The candidate must demonstrate using examples, their working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel);
- The successful candidate must have a legal entitlement to live and work in the USA prior to recruitment.
- Letter of application (1 page max.) addressing your suitability for the position and interest in working with the Consulate General of Ireland in Atlanta
- Résumé (2 pages max.) clearly demonstrating competencies required
- Two nominated referees with contact details, one of which must be a previous manager
- Copies of professional references and relevant academic, professional qualifications scanned into one PDF attachment
Applications should be sent via e-mail only to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line Public Diplomacy Officer Vacancy