The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International
The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International is dedicated to the conservation and protection of gorillas and their habitats in Africa. We are committed to promoting continued research on the gorillas and their threatened ecosystems and to providing education about their relevance to the world in which we live. In collaboration with government agencies and other international partners, we also aid local communities through education, health, training and development initiatives. We are based in Atlanta, Georgia, with field and program headquarters in Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The Controller will be responsible for all accounting and financial reporting for the organization which has an operating budget of $5.0 million including international operations. The position will be a member of the senior leadership team and will play an active support role to the Finance Committee of the Board and will be involved in supporting presentations to the Board, Finance and other committees of the Board. The Controller will be the lead in working with the organization’s outside accounting in its preparation for the annual financial audit and preparation of the IRS Form 990. The Controller will be responsible for the day-to-day financial and accounting operations and shall coordinate with financial staff in the international offices. The supervises the Accounting and HR Assistant.
- Full Time
- Manage all aspects of accounting, billing, financial statements, general ledger, cost accounting, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, tax compliance, inventory accounting, cost accounting, revenue recognition, and various special analyses.
- Collaborate with the CEO to develop team and financial objectives; track and report progress against objectives.
- Assist CEO with preparing the annual organizational budget, forecasting requirements, scheduling expenditures, monitoring/funding balances and analyzing variances. Regularly review financial reporting and forecasts with the Executive Team. Prepare reporting for the board.
- Partner with Human Resources on all salary and benefits related activities and initiatives.
- Partner with Advancement team and program management to develop and maintain tools for managing grants and support grant budget preparation, tracking and reporting.
- Support Fossey Fund programmatic leads by providing financial education, as needed. Build strong internal relationships to ensure that accounting functions support program delivery. Lead the team budget creation and management processes and conduct regular reviews of financial activity against budget.
- Plan and prepare accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports.
- Serve as the primary lead for the annual audit; organize information and statements for audits and both internal and external auditors.
- Define, benchmark, document, maintain and implement accounting policies and operational best practices.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal laws regarding finances, tax filings, reporting, including ensuring the Fossey Fund complies with all additional legal and regulatory requirements.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- CPA and/or MBA preferred
- At least 10 years accounting experience, with at least 5 years of accounting experience with nonprofit organizations including leadership roles.
- Familiar with nonprofit accounting standards.
- Hands-on experience with general ledger, revenue recognition, account payables, payroll, restrictive assets, monthly financial close, and preparation of financial reports.
- Experienced with grant accounting.
- Experience with budgeting, forecasting and reporting.
- Knowledge of internal controls.
- Advance knowledge of accounting software, e.g. Quick Books and knowledge of development/advancement software, e.g. BlackBaud.
- Solid Excel skills.
- Strong technology skills.
- A self-starter able to work independently and with a team.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and unwaving commitment to the mission of the organization.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and a list of references to Myriam Watkins at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Controller" in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.