Trade Commissioner - Information Technologies (IT)
Government of Canada
This position is an LES (Locally Engaged Staff) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Atlanta, United States
Under the general direction of the Senior Trade Commissioner, the Officer contributes to the successful delivery of the International Business Development (IBD) program. The Officer will support Canadian companies in the IT and tech sectors that are seeking to grow their business and strategically work with a rich local network of potential American customers, investors and partners.
- Full Time
- Developing, planning and implementing a business development program for Canadian tech sector clients (with a heavy emphasis on the fintech and cyber security sub-sectors) which includes finding opportunities for clients, advising clients, stakeholder en-gagement, managing budgets, tracking and reporting of results, planning and delivering events, supporting official visits, and identifying and implementing opportunities for continuous improvement
- Building a network of diverse local contacts supporting program objectives
- Building a network in Canada and pipeline of clients
- Providing outstanding services to Canadian business clients
- Conducting in-depth research from a wide range of sources to analyze trends in the market matching the opportunities to capabilities in Canada
- Developing short and long term strategies for to advance success of Canadian companies in the southeastern United States.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to develop and maintain a network of Canadian clients and local contacts
- Ability to identify local market needs and relevant business opportunities
- Ability to analyze and provide strategic advice; • Ability to manage multiple priorities with tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently in a proactive and accountable manner
- At least 5 years of professional experience working in business development or program management in the private and/or public sector, including direct experience in the Tech sector
- Experience conducting research and analysis and providing strategic advice, briefings and written reports to senior management and/or clients on business issues
- Experience in project management (including strategic planning, tracking/reporting results and budget management)
- Knowledge of the factors that influence the technology business in the US generally and in the southeastern United States in particular, and how they may have an impact on Canadian business interests, especially in priority sectors covered by the position
- Understanding of the role of the international business development section of the Consulate General of Canada in Atlanta (the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service) in advancing Canadian commercial interests
- Knowledge of the Canadian tech sector (with an emphasis on the fintech and cyber security sub-sectors)
- Knowledge of the innovation economy/tech sectors in the southeastern United States
Candidates are required to upload a cover letter and CV in English or French. Applications which do not include the requested documents or information in the CV or cover letter will be rejected. Any additional information must be included as part of these two attachments.