Upcoming Energy Projects in the Central America
- This event has passed.
Central America countries are expected to issue several billion dollars in tenders in the energy sector, offering many attractive opportunities for U.S. companies.
- Solar Energy is a growing area in most countries.
- Bids in renewable energy projects are more common, but still there is the need to buy equipment for emergency energy generation even at a residential level.
- The US Commercial Service has an Energy POC in every Embassy that can help you find out about the latest opportunities in each country.
Central America countries are widely investing in different energy projects. Most of the countries offer several advantages to U.S. companies:
- Affinity and preference for U.S. brands and technology.
- Quality is a differentiator from less expensive product opportunities from Asia.
Renewable energy is both a mature market as well as emerging sector in Central America depending on the country. The only common ground on all markets is the use of solar energy as a way to generate needed grid power, lower the usage peaks or lower the energy bill for companies.
Investment opportunities exist for developing small hydropower dams, solar photovoltaic and wind systems as well.
Central America may seem to be a small market, when compared to other large countries, but in reality Central America historically has purchased more from the USA than Russia and Indonesia combined.
Biding for projects in similar time zones with friendly attitudes towards Americans, is indeed a good way to step outside the comfort zone of selling domestic and going further to do business.